I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Sunday, May 09, 2010

A Sunday blessing - Mother's Day

I developed a new identity on April 7, 1973.  I became a mother for the first time.  I added 'mother' to the list of titles that included 'daughter, granddaughter, wife, aunt'.  What a glorious day it was.  It was pouring down rain.  There was a tornado watch and it was as dark as it could be outdoors.
But the transition to Motherhood brightened everything.  From that point on I knew I had a job to do that would last the rest of my life.
But here's the bitter truth.  I was scared to death. 
I instinctively knew the basic things I needed to do to take care of this small person that had been given to me.  Thank you to one very special person, my own mother, for helping me and teaching me what I needed to do to help this new daughter of mine grow into a loving adult.  I honestly don't know what I would have done in many cases had Mom not lived just around the corner and been there to help meet not only my own needs, but Angelia's as well.
I learned from her how to get a quart of bacon grease off the kitchen floor after Angelia decided to help clean.
I learned that it's okay that Angelia has fried bologna and macaroni and cheese for lunch each and every day.
I learned that you do whatever it takes to keep that child safe and happy with a roof over her head.
I learned that it takes more than 4 walls and a roof to make a home.
I learned that a mother's love is everlasting and that nothing, nothing, can change that.
I learned that even through disappointment and hurt, the love in a mother's heart is the strongest emotion.

Thank you, Mom, for being there for me over all these many years.

And thank you, Angelia, Jessica, and Ashley, for making me proud to wear my mother cap.  It has been an easy role to fill.

Happy Mother's Day to all my friends who share their heart with their own children.  Have a beautiful day.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, wow! What terrific and beautiful memories! (Ick....bacon grease?!)