I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksliving. Go read Jessica's blog, please.

I was going to write about the impression that was made on me by our preacher in church on Sunday.  The topic:  Thanksliving
I had something all written out that I was going to enter and let it go at that, giving you an update on what I planned to do.  Then I read Jessica's blog at Adjusting to the World.  She has such a caring and fluid way with words that after reading what she'd composed, I decided that she wouldn't mind if I just linked you to her blog.  We attend the same church and were affected in the same way Sunday morning.  I sat and listened and thought, wondering what I would do to help anyone with less than what I've got.
     We spend a lot of money on Christmas.  It's just what we've always done.  We spend hours on Christmas morning opening gifts.  Afterwards we all make some comment on how blessed we are to have the opportunity to give to each other, blessed to have so much, and blessed to keep getting. 
   After the service I thought about some of John's comments and the statistics he gave about children starving to death.  He said that a child dies every 6 seconds from hunger, and had figured that during the delivery of his message that 350 children would die.  That's a heart-breaking statistic and I couldn't help but to cry, knowing that there are children anywhere living with such a short life expectancy because of no food.  So this is what I've decided to do. 
There were three mail-orders that I was planning to make when I got on the computer here.  I was going to order some fruit or preserves or cheeses for my godfather in Massachusetts, my godmother in Ohio, and my brother and sister-in-law in Florida.  Instead, I've sent a donation in their honor to Feed the Children.  I don't think they'll mind that I've done this instead of sending them the things I've done in the past.  Perhaps they'll join me in doing the same.  For what I've been able to send Feed the Children, 5 children and their families will have food for another day.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah! Now you are focusing on what the spirit of Christmas is truly about! God bless you and your church for making a difference in this world of ours!

Jessica said...

Hallelujah! I really feel like this year is going to be different.

Thanks for the encouraging words on my post. I've just felt so convicted.

Angelia (Texas) said...

This is truly God moving in our hearts and what Christianity is all about. God bless you, for having ears that hear.