I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Remembering November 22, 1963


President Kennedy with his wife, Jacqueline, and Texas Governor John Connally in the presidential limousine, minutes before his assassination.
Location Dallas, Texas
Date Friday, November 22, 1963
12:30 p.m.
Photo from Information: Wikipedia


I was in the 7th grade at Eddy Junior High School in Columbus, Georgia.  I was 12-years old.
  It was just after our lunch period and I had only been in my math class long enough to get settled in my desk.  An announcement came over the announcement system, asking for silence in the classrooms.  The President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, had been shot and killed in Dallas, Texas. 
The silence that was left after the announcement was broken only by the crying of the students and teachers.  You could hear the sadness coming from the hallways.
We were instructed to go to the bus loading area and wait for our transportation home.  School would be let out early and we wouldn't be returning for several days.

Everyone of all age groups was in shock. Never again have I heard such silence.  Waiting for the busses.  On the bus going home.  Even after getting home and turning on the television set, the sad voices of the newscasters were muted and tear-filled.
I can't remember a time in my life when my entire family was stationed in front of the television. We watched everything that was available on the assassination and the events that followed.  The questions of 'How?" and "Why?" was spoken over and over along with "I just can't believe it."
So many unanswered questions still remain.
Like millions of Americans, I will remember that day as long as I live.  I don't have to be reminded what significance November 22 holds.


2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, Mom. That's not a pretty memory....though I think I'll forever remember my own significant dates, like September 11th, for example. I remember when it had neen 30 years since JFK's assassination - I was then in 7th grade myself, and it was in the news a lot that year because of the anniversary. I remember talking with you and thinking about what it would have been like to have been my age and get that kind of news.

Beccalynn said...

My dad always told me about that day. He had stayed home from school sick that day and spent the entire day in shock watching the news. I think he was slightly younger than you--in older elementary school. Old enough to understand and be shocked and saddened. When September 11th happened he said, "We'll always know where we were when Kennedy was shot and you'll always know where you were on 9/11." To me and my generation, the Kennedy assassination is just another story from the history books. Pearl Harbour is the same for your's and my parents' grandparents I'd assume. I guess 9/11 will be the same to our children.