I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back when both Jessica and Ashley went off to college, it helped me to deal with their being gone to be able to picture them in their new surroundings. So when Jessica and Scott asked me if I'd like to go for a day trip to Greenville to Angelia, Larry and Shelby Jo, I decided that it would be good for me to see them and where they are. I was a bit uneasy about making the trip since I haven't been away from Augusta since Terry took me to the zoo in Columbia, but I made sure I took alll my meds before we left and stayed aware of how I was feeling physically all along the way.

The Greenville folks seem to be doing just fine. They have a cute apartment that they've fixed up with all their things. The apartment complex surrounds a very attractive pond (lake?) that is landscaped with a lot of nice foliage and it has attracted different kinds of water birds. (See Angelia's blog http://www.ascates.blogspot.com/ )

All three of them are very tan and fit-looking evidently, from spending a lot of time at the pool. Angelia drove us all to get lunch and to a beautiful park and she has learned how to get around Greenville...or at least to the important places.

They took us to see Shelby Jo's new school where she'll be starting next week. I'm still having trouble getting my mind around the fact that she's going to be a first grader.

The park that they took us to see was amazing. Both Scott and I agreed that we are jealous that Greenville has such a place. It's way nicer than anything Augusta could even hope for.
Beautiful waterfalls with misters
There are beautiful flowers and trees everywhere. Children were running and playing in fountains. Geese swimming in the river. There are art museums and galleries and ice cream shops. There were contemporary Christian bands playing under a large tent. Bridges and paths and walkways all through it called out for visitors to walk and explore. Brides were having portraits made. Families were having reunion photos made.

My favorite part was (and Angelia knew it would be) the Children's Garden. A large carved wooden Winnie the Pooh, bronze animal statues, vegetable (cucumbers, squash, eggplants, tomatoes) and flower gardens...daisies, coleus, black-eye Susans, periwinkles, butterfly bushes. (I love it when Shelby Jo says "Weezer, what kind of flower is that?")


We found some of Peter Rabbit's green beans. (She had seen some stepping stones with vegetables on them and she'd said, "They've got to be here someplace.")

It was a wonderful day and it was so good to see them in their new home and surroundings. I'll continue to miss them, but at least I'll be able to see them with my mind's eye and keep those images in my heart.

2 comments:

Angelia said...

I'm glad you had a nice time, Mom. It was good to have you here.

Angelia said...

After reading this to Shelby, She said, "You forgot the carrots."