I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Spiritual Sunday ~ Roses and Thorns

ROSES AND THORNS

A certain man planted a rose and watered it faithfully, and before it
blossomed, he examined it. He saw the bud that would soon blossom and also
the thorns. And he thought, "How can any beautiful flower come from a plant
burdened with so many sharp thorns?" Saddened by this thought, he neglected
to water the rose, and before it was ready to bloom, it died.

So it is with many people. Within every soul there is a rose. The God-like qualities planted in us at birth grow amid the thorns of our faults.
Many of us look at ourselves and see only the thorns, the defects. We despair,
thinking that nothing good can possibly come from us. We neglect to water
the good within us, and eventually it dies. We never realize our potential.

Some people do not see the rose within themselves; someone else must show it
to them. One of the greatest gifts a person can possess is to be able to reach past
the thorns and find the rose within others. This is the characteristic of
love, to look at a person, and knowing his faults, recognize the nobility in
his soul, and help him realize that he can overcome his faults. If we show
him the rose, he will conquer the thorns.

Our duty in this world is to help others by showing them their roses and not
their thorns. Only then can we achieve the love we should feel for each
other; only then can we bloom in our own garden.
-- Author Unknown

(from eMail Ministry)
(above rose photo by Weezer)








Thank you, Charlotte and Ginger, for hosting Spiritual Sundays.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing it this Spiritual Sunday!

Coffeypot said...

Instead of a rose, I think my inner self is a stink weed.

Breathing In Grace said...

I so enjoy visiting you and seeing what you have to share!! Happy Sunday!!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh weezer Sweetie...
How beautiful, you must come and read my post. Yep, I had a rose, and I have seen some thorns, but I am plucking those darn thorns right off, and I will use my (rose)voice for the good. I will not let the thorns stop me from being heard.

Thank you for the beautiful comparison. I needed this my friend. God provides at the right time in our lives, yes he sure does.

God Bless you Sweetie...Love, Sherry

Charlotte said...

This is a beautiful analogy. I love roses. Thank you for sharing this insight with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Virginia said...

Amen, very well said.
Blessings,
Virginia

the Chacogirl said...

I loved your Spiritual Sunday post. Isn't it great that we all are flower's in God's garden? Thanks for your intrest in my blog and for your comments. I'm glad I'm getting to know know you better, too. Have a blessed Sunday. I'm going to a church picnic later and will be taking a lot of pictures:)

Unknown said...

you become shy when you've been pierced by so many thorns. Makes one afraid to keep searching for that rose within. But we must keep trying: lay those thorns at the foot of the cross. Through prayer and meditation that rose shall be nurtured. It is my hope that it's not too late.

Ruth said...

this is a beautiful analogy! Love the rose too...
Blessings,
Ruth

Nikki (Sarah) said...

what a great post this is. There's a kindness to it that touches me. Thank you.

ShirleyC said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

I have not heard this poem before. It's wonderful analogy,I;m so glad you shared this today.
Blessings,
Ginger

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes love the roses, and try to look for them, in others!
kim

Carrie said...

this was so encouraging to me, thank you for posting it!
Carrie

Renee said...

What a lovely inspirational story! Thank you for sharing it with all of us on SS...God bless.