I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Sunday, August 08, 2010

Spiritual Sunday ~ Chasing Away the Darkness

Let me tell you that I take care of the birds that come to my yard. I have a bed that we call the Bird Garden. It's a place where the birds, all sizes, all kinds, can come to eat, drink, bathe, and nest. It's special to me and the birds all seem to appreciate it. Before I ever opened the door to the backyard at 8:30 this morning, I could hear them.  The birds filling the air with calls of distress.  First only a few and then increasing.  Loud calls.  Ugly calls.  Dark calls.  I stood in the yard, looking up at the tree tops and tried to see what it was that was causing them such distress.  I looked for maybe the neighbor's cat in the yard but didn't see her.  The sounds were deafening.  All the birds in unison, obviously trying to rid their space of something threatening.  It seemed to go on forever.

All at once, a large dark hawk flew overhead from one of the tallest pine trees.  The smaller birds, dozens of them of all varieties, followed in pursuit.  All screaming to the hawk to vacate their secure space.  As quickly as the hawk left the airspace over my yard.....silence.  That large hawk had threatened the safety of what the birds considered their space and their haven of safety.  Once by one, the smaller birds....cardinals, mockingbirds, towhees, bluejays....all returned to the safety of the yard.  One by one, they began with their more cheerful, perky songs that are so familiar to me.  Bird calls of happiness and security.  Peace.

That's how we are, isn't it?  When we feel that the dark entity of Satan is threatening our space, our security, our comfort zone, we work in tandem to free it from the ugliness that threatens us.  We pray together.  We study the word of God together.  We band together as a flock of God's children to stay safe and closer to Him.  One alone soul is not as strong as the entire flock, working together to keep Satan at bay.  Oh, yes.  He's still out there, perching on the edge of our security.  Together and non-stop, we pray that that dark self will move further from us and that God's peace will continue to hold us close.  And God's purity and brightness never disappoints.  We will remain one in his word...all together.
The darkness passes and the light shines through.

If we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another.
1 John 1:7

19 comments:

Brenda Susan said...

Beautiful word picture Weezer! Great picture/pictures too! Ha!

Apron Senorita said...

Great Message!! I'm a single mom of 2 teen kids. I'm a mother hen spoiling the kids with love, but I'm also a hawk making sure I keep evil away from them. Amen!!

Yoli :)

Nikki (Sarah) said...

nice pictures.and good message.

nomo wino daph said...

1st-I left something for you on my blog yesterday:)

2ns- thank you for this...what a perfect way to start my Sunday morning off!! Your words are so true and so powerful my friend! xo

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Interesting...

We have a hawk that visits us, and I see him as a symbol of good. Ever watchful, keep things in line, strong...

Fortunately, I'm able to switch gears when it comes to imagery. I enjoyed what you wrote. Thought about it even...

Hugs from IL,
ellie

Whidbey Woman said...

What a great analogy! Happy Spiritual Sunday, from one bird lover to another!

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful post Weezer! Love the parallel you made between the birds and mankind! Deep thoughts. Hugs

One Photo said...

A clever analogy and beautiful pictures to accompany your words.

INSIDE THE SHRINK said...

What a great way to portray a great truth of us as God's children through nature and the habits of the birds. I find that very deep and inspiring. Thank you for taking the time to share this post. It is anointed. God bless, Bobbi

Virginia said...

Great Message! Lets pray that the light of God always shine in our lives.
Sweet Blessings,
Virginia

Unknown said...

This was beautifully written and very powerful, too. I'm glad I dropped in today!

Anonymous said...

Praise God that He is in control and the darkness will pass and God's eternal light will shine forever for all who trust in Christ.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

What a excellent post! We have a bird scary in our backyard also. The same thing happens when they see a Hawk, it's scary.I found some very large feathers by one of our bird feeders, I wish I could protect them while I feed them and give them water, just like the Lord protects us.
Blessings,
Ginger

Charlotte said...

I absolutely love this post. I could almost hear those birds as you described the sounds. The birds are very blessed to have you for their friend. I'm so glad you chose to share with us on Spiritual Sundays.
Charlotte

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Yes such an great lesson, I love your pics also...Just love bird watching.
kim
P.S. I have a giveaway tomorrow...please visit

Rose said...

beautiful analogy between birds and people. the photos are great. Rose

Renee said...

Beautiful post and great analogy. Enjoyed your insights very much..

Jocelyn said...

Such beautiful words! Thanks for sharing. I hope that you had a blessed weekend!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Angelia Sims said...

Beautiful message. Amazing how we see him in everything and give thanks.