I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Beware of Mountain City, Georgia

I have a criminal record.  It's taken me until now to get my first ticket.  Yep!  And what a doozie it is, too.
Driving through Mountain City, Georgia, following my husband's car on our way to Gatlinburg, I look in my rear view mirror to see the dreaded red and blue lights of a police car.
I knew I wasn't speeding.  Traffic was pretty heavy and let me tell you......I don't speed.  What I thought was that maybe I had a tail light out or that maybe I had driven through one of those annoying pedestrian crosswalks along the tourist route.
I pulled over and when the young officer got to my car, what did I say? 
"Good afternoon, offficer.  What can I do for you?"
Spoken like someone who knew they hadn't done anything wrong.  He says to me, "Where's your seatbelt?"
"Right here."  (Where it should be. Duh!)
Him:  "Where's your SHOULDER HARNESS?"
Me:  "I don't always wear it.  This is an older car and it's in two pieces.  I just don't always think to put it on."
(I didn't tell him that it cuts across my shoulder blade and neck and rubs, but I don't think he would have been interested.)
Him:  "That's why I pulled you over.  You need to wear your harness AND your seatbelt."
Are you kidding me?  How in the world did he even see into my car to see that it wasn't on.  If it would have been, it would have been under my arm.
Me:  "Yes, sir."

So, after he asked for my license and checked my record, he came back to the car.
Him:  "You have any idea what year this thing is?"
Me: "1991"
He smiled, filled in the necessary blank on the citation, and handed me my license and the citation, telling me that I have a court date of April 27 or I can call to find out the fine.

He didn't care that that was my first ticket. 
My husband has gotten quite a chuckle or two out of this.

So, I've gone on-line to the Mountain City Municipal Court site and paid my $17.00 fine.
When you see those road signs that say "Click It or Ticket", they mean  your shoulder harness AND your seat belt.  They've got ways of seeing it.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh you felon you! LOL. Seriously?

Mom said...

This is so funny! I know it wasn't to you at the time but it sure makes me think about us getting stopped a few months ago coming back to Columbus. Boy, the cop who stopped you wasn't nearly as nice as that sheriff who stopped us. How in the world did he see you didn't have that belt on? Guess he needed to get his quota for the day. Even funnier is the fact he didn't know the year of your car! You would think he knew about belts back then.

Mom said...

Oh! Your Diddy said he wasn't laughing at this - BUT you know your Diddy!

iamNoOne said...

Guess their eyes have a built-in scanner or an auto-detector. Be careful next time! :)

Angelia (Texas) said...

You outlaw! LOL. At least the officer was keeping you safe, I think you need one of those pad things to help with the rub. I thought seat belt fines were a lot higher. $17 is not so bad!