I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"When We Were Little" Wednesday

Jessica (my middle daughter) has been doing her "When We Were Little" Wednesday posts for many weeks now and I've looked forward to each and every one of them. I've been both surprised, amazed and moved emotionally at some of her memories. Her memories have led me to try to remember more about my growing up years and when I was little. When I look back, I see photographs (many in black and white) in my mind but don't always remember the details of when or where. I'm working on my memories, if that's possible.


This morning I was standing out on the deck and after all the rain and cooler weather of the past 24+ hours, the leaves are changing quickly and falling from their perches on the trees. The different colors of the leaves brought to mind when I was little, in a different time, in a different world. My school age years started in the mid-50s. Girls weren't allowed to wear pants of any kind to school. We had to wear dresses or skirts. My favorite clothing outfit was made up of a plaid wool skirt, white blouse, cardigan sweater, knee socks, and penny loafers (yes, the kind with the pennies in the top).

The changing of the leaves remind me of the plaids of those skirts. I remember them as a rich combination of colors....yellows, oranges, and greens; greens, reds, and yellows for Christmas season; blues, purples, and yellows for springtime. Every fall when I see the leaves make the transition to their fall colors, I remember those skirts. They would be something I'd wear today if I still had something similar.

In my memories those seemed like happier and simpler times. I got up to go to school and knew relatively well what I'd be wearing to school. The only question I had was whether it was going to be one of my favorite plaid wool skirts or the favorite flannel with the poodle or apple on the front. I don't know if it was a simple time for my folks but I sure didn't see and don't remember there being any stressors.
Not only do the fall colors and falling leaves remind me of those comforting and familiar clothes, but I'm also reminded of the fall when we were living in Germany. My father was in the army and we were sent to Germany. I was in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades over there.  My brother and I were able to walk anywhere we went and there wasn't a thought of being harmed or in danger being out without our parents. Our favorite walks (as I recall) were to the movie theater on Saturdays. We'd pick up chestnuts that had fallen from the trees. I don't know that we ever did anything with them but I'm sure we collected pockets full every fall.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

Love it, love it, love it! This is just what I had in mind when I started this. Thanks for being one of my first to play along!