I love seeing your smiling faces. Join me here at Weezer's Haven.

Where you're coming from.

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Review: "Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado


Subtitle:  "Living in Your Sweet Spot"

Max Lucado's writings speak to me.  He writes for me, to me.  I was captured and wanting more as I started reading:

"If I could leave one message on your heart, it would be this:  You are unique in God's eyes.  He designed you like no other...and your greatest joy will be found in using your uniqueness to glorify God every day of your life."

There's not really anything new in all of this.  It's just that Mr. Lucado takes the scriptures and the messages further, actually telling the reader how to go about finding where you're supposed to be to do what you're supposed to be doing........to find your "sweet spot".  There's no task or job that's too small.  If you can identify it as a skill, a talent, or an ability that you do really well, and actually love doing it, there's a way to use it to Glorify God.  It's just a matter of getting started.  Whatever you may think to be too small or trivial may be just what is needed somewhere.

"We are all equipped with skills and talents that we can use to the Glory of God.  We, each and every one, have the ability to do certain things well." (Rom 12:6)

"Let every detail in your life - words, action, whatever - be done in the name of the Master, Jesus." (Col 3:17 Msg)

 I'm sure I have special abilities, that I'm special in the eyes of God, and that I'm part of His plan.  The only thing left is to define my own role by finding my own sweet spot, "to do the most what I do the best."

"Accept God's permission to be who He made you to be."

"You cannot be anything you want to be but you can be everything God wants you to be."

From the book:  "God inhabits the tiny seed, empowers the tiny deed.  He cures the common life by giving no common life, by offering no common gifts. 'Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.'  Don't discount the smallest of your deeds."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Weezer...I'm giving the Hot Shot right back to you! Have a great Monday!

Jessica said...

This looks like another good one. I have several books waiting in my "queue" to be read.......so this one will have to just find its place in line. =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Weezer, I found you through 5thsister's blog. I like your post here...I have heard of this Max Lucado guy before, but can't place it...perhaps another book I've read? Not sure...anyway, planning to follow!

have a great Monday

Angelia said...

Sounds like a good read.